Monday, August 13, 2007

F! - August 2007 - issue#2

Cover Story - Eva Langoria ! - Sean Carter







When asked to describe herself in three words, Eva Longoria chooses silly, ambitious, and entertaining. She should have emphasized the ambitious part, given the tear she's been on. Her hit show, Desperate Housewives, finished its third season and millions of fans await the 4th. She's just opened a Tex-Mex restaurant in Los Angeles called De Nada. And she's branched out to the big screen -- last year, she costarred with Kiefer Sutherland and Michael Douglas in The Sentinel, and later this year, she lends her voice to the animated flick Foodfight
Her personal life has been equally action-packed lately. In November, her boyfriend of nearly two years, San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker, popped the question, and then the world saw the happy couple tie the not in Paris on 007/07/07,(It's the second marriage for Eva, who was briefly hitched to soap actor Tyler Christopher.)
With lots to chat about, the feisty, friendly star sits down for tea with FETCH! at DUBAI’S hip hotel Grosvenor House, where the conversation runs the gamut from her fabulous wedding to her great sex secret.
Fetch! : How did you end up in Jessica Simpson's "A Public Affair" video?Eva Longoria: We're all followers of Ken Paves, the hairstylist. Jessica calls us the Ken-ites -- me, Jessica, Carmen Electra, and Brittany Murphy. We hang out whenever we can. We're tight girlfriends.
Is it tough to maintain male friendships when you're in a relationship?No. I get so much crap for having friends like Jamie Foxx and Mario Lopez, who are like brothers to me. It's difficult when you're in an insecure relationship or if your partner doesn't know where he stands with you. That's not how it is with us. I don't feel threatened by Tony's female friends, and he doesn't feel threatened by my male friends.Do you and Tony ever talk about trust?Trust is so organic for us. You'd think that because he's an athlete and I'm an actress and because we have a long-distance relationship, it would be an issue, but it really isn't at all. We are the priority in each other's lives, so we would never do anything to jeopardize that trust in any way.You're 32 and Tony's 24. What's the biggest plus to being involved with a younger man?What's not to love? His energy, for one! But I think the best part is his innocent outlook on love and relationships. He's just more open to all the possibilities. I think women, for the most part, tend to be a little more guarded when it comes to relationships.What kinds of things do you and Tony like to do as a couple in your free time?We love to lie around and watch movies. We are both into fine dining. He's European, so he likes to make it a four-hour experience with the cheeses and the wines. We love eating -- that's our escape together.With all that eating you do, how do you manage to stay in such amazing shape?I have a personal trainer who comes over at least four times a week and kicks my butt. I get so sore that I can't even walk. I do squats, lunges -- anything for my butt. My big concern is gravity taking its toll. As for food, I'm trying the vegan thing right now, but I fall off the wagon a lot. Yesterday, I had a steak. I try to do cleansings -- I'll go months just eating vegetables and then have turkey or a filet mignon.How do you and Tony deal with conflict?We never go to bed angry, which sometimes frustrates Tony because he'll be like "Please. I have a game tomorrow. I need sleep." Another rule we have is that nobody is ever right. I don't need to be right. I just want to be understood. The same goes for him.

Last September, you and Tony made a public statement about going through a difficult period as a couple. What happened?We were going through growing pains, and I was being honest about it. We had to figure out big relationship decisions, like where we would live and when wewould see each other. We never broke up though.Why was now the right time to get married?I never had a time line for my life. I didn't say I wanted to be married at 28 and have three kids by the time I was 32. I do want to have a family at some point. I also want toadopt. I don't feel pressure to have kids because I know that there are so many out there.How did Tony propose?It was more than I'd imagined. I was shocked too. It was like two in the morning. He got down on one knee. He was so nervous, which is what I find so surprising and sweet. I said, "Honey, you know how much I want to marry you!"What excited you most about getting married?My dress, my dress, my dress! I wish I could have worn 10 dresses to my wedding. It's so sad that you put it in storage and then never see it again. I am going to sleep in mine after I wear it.

You've been very vocal about sex in the past. How did you become so comfortable with your sexuality?No one taught me. I'm confident as a woman. There's no taboo about talking about your sexuality for a woman of my generation. I've always been an independent thinker.You've also talked about showing a man how to please you in bed. How do you do that?It shouldn't be a big deal. You just ask. If you feel like you're walking on eggshells about asking for what you want, then you're with the wrong guy. I've never been afraid to tell Tony, "This is what I like. This is what I want. This is where I want it." We have this thing called "Tell me now." Just tell me now if that’s not working. It applies to things other than sex too!


Eva Longoria's Wedding Features Bling and Bang.
Fireworks lit up the French sky as newlyweds Eva Longoria and Tony Parker partied into the early hours of Sunday at a 17th century castle. "It was so great – such a fun wedding," wedding guest Mario Lopez tells FETCH!. "It's been one event after another. I'm tired!" Sparkle of a different kind shimmered at the reception in the Chateau of Vaux le Vicomte on the outskirts of Paris. Scores of diamonds decorated Longoria's wedding band, the company which made them has revealed. Longoria, 32, and Parker, 25, wore Piaget Possession wedding rings. The Desperate Housewives star's band was made from 18K white gold with two rows of 80 brilliant-cut diamonds. These were separated by a row of 27 square-cut diamonds, for a total of 107 jewels. Parker's ring matched his wife's 18K white gold but was not decorated with stones. They each had a special inscription, in French, etched into the inside of the gold ring.
Meanwhile, all the women guests at the wedding were given bracelets from Van Cleef & Arpels' Sweet Alhambra range. The bracelets are 18K yellow gold on a delicate chain. They each had a miniature mother-of-pearl clover charm and the French jeweler said they are "sure to bring good luck."


the VIP guests, like Longoria's co-stars Felicity Huffman and Teri Hatcher, Sheryl Crow, Jessica Alba, Ryan Seacrest and soccer star Thierry Henry, were among around 200 people watching the couple exchange vows at the Church of Saint Germain l'Auxerrois. Longoria wore a couture Angel Sanchez mermaid gown made of silk wool, with silk gazar metallic embroidery, a scoop back and a long train. The day before, a smaller, more intimate gathering saw them wed in a civil service.
The honeymoon may be over, but the memories lovingly linger for Eva Longoria.

Asked to describe her post-wedding celebratory trip with new husband Tony Parker, the Desperate Housewives star, 32, tells FETCH!: "It was so romantic, it was just the two of us. We were completely alone together. We didn't see people for days with the exception of room service bringing us food." Longoria, who returned to work on her series Monday, added, "It was great to be completely, 100-percent alone." She and NBA star Parker, 25, were married in a civil ceremony in Paris July 6, followed the next day by a lavish church wedding. Then it was off for a low-key honeymoon on the Caribbean islands of Turks and Caicos. Longoria said she and Parker are now making an effort to spend lots of time together. On Monday and Tuesday, the new groom was with her on the Housewives set. "Tony's been great," says Longoria. "He's been coming to the set with me since we returned to Los Angeles – just like during the season when I was going to the Spurs games. With [his] season over, he's hanging out on the set with me. It's a lot of fun. " As for Parker, he has discovered there's at least one element to married life that requires some getting used to: his wedding band. "It's weird, it's weird," he told the Associated Press Tuesday night. "I don't wear rings. ... The only ring that I was wearing is our championship rings, but you only wear that maybe two times, three times maybe. So I have to get used to it." He also noted, "A lot of my teammates told me they lost it like five or six times. So I'm going to try to lose it only one or two times." And yes, he's learning to adjust to having a wife who stars on one of the most popular shows on TV. "It's not like Brad Pitt, or Britney Spears. It's not that bad," Parker says of the paparazzi attention he and Longoria are receiving. "It's more for Eva, it's not me. I'm just there holding hands, they take pictures. It's her world."
Advertisement - Fragrance Covet by SJP








Editorial : Dark Purple - Evelyn Carter


















Fashion Feature - Get the David Beckham Look! - Ady St. Jon


Ever since David moved to LA, he has embraced the American, Cargo shorts movement; its been happening for a long time and lets face it, we are talking about LA . So in honour of the Brit, footie, hunk's move we give you a few ideas on how to get the "Beckham look". Now since we live in the U.A.E these pieces can also be found in: Giordano, Splash, Lee Cooper, Pull & Bear, Samuel & Kevin, Springfield and many others more. Since the climate here, is LA x 10; this look clearly is practical, is easy to carry off and it looks good. Go short, simple and sandy this summer!




GAP

V-neck and regular, jersy T's

under $20

Abercrombie & Fitch
Nye Mountain
Khaki
$49.50
100% sueded cotton, rugged body design, reinforced seam taping, sturdy drawcord waist, subtle nicking, button closure cargo pockets, lined interior waistband, zipper fly, Vintage Abercrombie Wash, Classic Fit, Imported



Abercrombie & Fitch
Classic Rubber Flip Flops
White
$19.50
100% rubber, moose logo, Classic Fit, Imported
Leather Treads
Brown
$49.50



Ray Ban
RB3214-Rimless Aviator
under $100


Summer reading list - Marius Van Muller



My friends are worried. I've been cancelling engagements with drivel about other engagements, I'm hardly ever online and I don't take or return my calls. Rumours are afloat that I have kicked the bucket, or that I am having an adulterous affair. Those who know me better know that the chances of the former being true are infinitely greater. But those who know me best know that neither of the two presented options have even a shred of truth in them. The truth? Sounds so disgustingly dramatic, doesn't it? Well, it isn't. I'm just racing down my Summer Reading List and as the proximity between me and the final item approaches, I feel as though I am nearing the end of an era, a Golden Age. Yet, I read at a feverish pace and manage to ignore that sinking feeling that comes with the closing of every novel. In a manner of speaking, every Summer Reading List of mine has always had a theme. This year's theme is 'The Best of the Summer Reading Lists.' The concept is simple, I look over the themes from the past 5 years or so and pick out related books. Now, I did not repeat any...no wait, scratch that...many books. I believe that a Summer Reading List (or any reading list) should not comprise of what is hot, or new or (dare I say it) topping the bestseller lists but simply of what you have not read and want to read or something that you've read and enjoyed so much that you'd like to savour it again. Without further ado:


1) 'Other Voices, Other Rooms' -Truman Capote (Theme: The Good Ol' Days!):I've always loved Capote's breezy, bitchy writing style. I know the two B's don't go well together but let's face it, Capote did work at the New Yorker! Yet, (and I think this is a good time to say this) 'OVOT' is not bitchy. Or breezy, for that matter. The novel is a delicately built masterpiece comprising of the most haunting, rarefied prose I have ever come across. It does indeed capture the coming-of-age phase very well, you know, the phase in which we hear 'other voices' while seated in 'other rooms'?

2) 'Gone With The Wind'- Margaret Mitchell (Theme: Fields of Gold... A Reminiscence of The Old South):To celebrate this theme, I'd originally picked out Alexandra Ripley's 'Charleston'. What happened later was very 'six degrees of seperation.' As I read the name Alexandra Ripley, I thought, 'Hey wait! Didn't she write 'Scarlett'-the really crappy sequel to 'Gone With The Wind'?' My mind was suddenly flooded with memories from Mitchell's multi-layered magnum opus. The final confrontation sequence between Rhett and Scarlett is, perhaps, one of my favourite sequences in literature...so rife with dramatic and even sexual tension. So there I was reading into the night, following the trail of a firebrand woman whose desire to survive burned even more intensely than Atlanta did that fateful night...
3) 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'- Joanne Kathleen Rowling (Theme: Songs of Childhood).Harry Potter has become a force of habit. God knows, I gave up waiting for my Letter of Acceptance to Hogwarts a long time ago...and no we shall not speak of that particularly fun 'incident' at Kings' Cross, summer of 2004! But there is something so absolutely aperitive about Harry and his friends (Marry me, Hermione) that one can't help but bring out the nachos, dig in and begin Harry's final journey.


4) 'Twilight'- Stephenie Meyer (Theme: Teen Trash).Slotting this book into the aforesaid category is perhaps the biggest blunder I made this summer. That and buying a certain A&F muscle shirt and hoping to pull it off but managing to pull it off anyway...but that's another story. A rare blend of romance and witticisms...'Twilight' is just beautiful.


5) 'Prep' -Curtis Sittenfeld (Theme: Confessional Literature).Now this book may have been a New York Times best seller for quite some time but in all honesty, it deserves to be there even longer. When I thought of this theme I didn't feel the need to pick up something new but rather to make a difficult decision between Salinger and Plath. Instead, the book found me! There it was, a second-hand copy, looking seemingly innocent but containing a narrative so engaging, so magnetic and mesmeric that I couldn't tear myself away from it. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about reading it and when I was done reading it, I started thinking about re-reading it. I'm not going to say more...I intend to review this one soon!
6) 'Snow Falling on Cedars'- 'David Guterson (Theme: Rapturous Love...Love Divine).Centred around a murder trial involving a Japanese-American, Guterson's novel is packed with a multitudinous range of visual, sound and olfactory imagery. The multi-layered novel is a haunting, moving read that truly rouses the reader on so many, many levels. Be it the inter-racial romance of epic proportions between two teenagers- an American male and a Japanese-American female or the bitterness and grief caused by racial hatred. 'Snow Falling on Cedars' is a remarkable achievement...zealously romantic and scintillatingly subtle...keep a tissue box at hand.

7) 'The Diamond as Big as The Ritz and Other Stories'- Francis Scott Fitzgerald (Theme: Musings from an Age of Excess).Each and every story is a veritable gem. Fitzgerald, by means of his dexterous skill, is successful in transporting one to an opulent fantasy world of riotous luxury. So what if you had a bad experience with 'Gatsby' in high school? Lose yourself in Fitzgerald's dazzling prose and revel in the sybaritic, timeless experience held securely within the pages of this book. Perhaps, it may inspire you to read 'The Great Gatsby' again...and this time with a trained eye.

8) 'Villette' - Charlotte Bronte (Theme: Victorian Vestiges).I love the Bronte sisters' work. None of the other Victorians wrote as openly or as passionately. In this respect, 'Villette' does not disappoint. Told in the first person, from the prospective of Lucy Snowe, a young woman who travels to the fictional town of Villette to teach at a girls' school only to be pulled into a web of intrigue, adventure and romance. Bronte, in her own inimitable style, explores gender stereotypes and the asymettrical gender roles of the time.

9) 'Perfume' - Patrick Suskind (Theme: Avant-garde).Producing stunning visual and sound imagery in a piece of writing is an art mastered and exploited to its fullest advantage by many but it is only a Grand-master who can produce olfactory imagery and that too with as much acuity as seen in Suskind's novel. Oh, 'Perfume' is a literary orgasm, convoked and bottled for your pleasure! This breathtakingly, aromatic tour-de-force has been translated from it's original German by John. E. Woods and the result is mesmerising. The smells of 18th Century Paris are unleashed across the pages with hints of other subtle seductions like jasmines, tuberoses and musk which mask the putrefying stench of a horrifying crime, leading up to a chilling, conclusion. 'Perfume' is by far, one of my most treasured books...I think, a book as captivating as this may not come out for another 10,000 years or at all.
10) 'A Clockwork Orange'- Anthony Burgess (Theme: Cult Classics).Quentin Tarantino is to film-buffs what Anthony Burgess is to book-worms. This is the second book on this list that is not new but who gives a f**k? I certainly don't... Burgess' finesse with the language is such that he authentically amasses the wind of violence that surges through a madly, dystopian future. His witty, piquant narrator Alex speaks in a heady mix of English and Russian (a fad-language called Nadsat-invented by the author himself) and enjoys ultra-violence, rape and Beethoven's Ninth. A bizarre sequence of events quickly launches mayhem into Alex's world such that 'fun' is no longer the order of the day...Deeper into the novel, one finds that Burgess actually makes several heart-wrenching comments on morality and hypocrisy in our society. This and the gratitious violence make 'A Clockwork Orange' a little difficult to go down but oh what fun it is!

To a lot of people, reading a book is boring business. What does the adjective 'boring' connote? Loneliness? Silence? But then, the connotations of the noun 'serenity' are pretty much the same. In actual fact, the main difference between boredom and serenity is that in case of boredom everything seems like a waste of time, every moment bears upon one like the most onerous of weights but in case of serenity...the silence of every passing is savoured and enjoyed. And that feeling is most tangible when you're seated, immersed in a book, travelling the world without moving even an inch.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails