Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The true search!


Searching for a pair of new jeans can be tedious our own fetchie, Marius retells his experience;

Having dropped a fairly decent amount of weight, I decided to go in for a new pair of jeans. Also, my faithful pair of blindingly black Kenneth Coles had finally fallen apart, and while the farewell was emotionally charged, much to the amazement of my room-mate, I found myself looking forward making the acquaintance of a new pair.

My search began where all valiant, sartorial quests begin: the mall. With long, determined strides and my handkerchief to my nose, did I march right past Hollister, Aeropostale, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hot Topic. Macy's! Yes! That was where this quest would find fruition. Or so I thought. Macy's and it's sad little racks of sad looking Guess! jeans was a major disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I love Guess! But this particular assortment just seemed so woe-begone that I simply had to leave! Dejected, I placed my person upon a bench and carefully sipped my Orange Julius Pina Colada. This was a disaster! I was to return empty handed! Sure, the rest of the evening would be uneventful! I'd play a little Russian Roulette with my Organic Chemistry text- a game that would end at an impasse, maybe do coffee with a friend, think about my Shakespeare paper *sigh*, all of this while living with the realization that I had failed! No jeans for me! It was my darkest sartorial hour (barring the time S and I flirted with hideous grape-colored T-shirts but that was all in jest...) and suddenly the sun emerged almost defiantly...

I think it was the strains of 'Shut Up and Let Me Go' that caught my attention. I followed the music, as if entranced and found myself standing right in front of 'Express'. Oh fortunate sight! The store, with its sculpted letters, enthralling clothes and a staff that wore all-black (in the classiest possible sense) seemed to beckon me! Who was I to resist? Express: home of the 1MX shirt was the best thing that could have happened to me! How did I get through high-school without this place?! Trendy, stylishly patterned dress-shirts, ties so staid but wait! Is that a skull? How clever! And jeans! I began doing that one dance we've all mastered: the Attendant Two-Step. One-small talk-two-help me-one-measure me-two-find what I need-and a one...My partners were exceedingly skilled, I tell you! I was finally home! European sensibilities fused with American chutzpah create clothes that urge you to feel young and come alive!

I left with pair of black Rocco’s that do fantastic things for my height and...other things! Shopping at Express was like being a part of a particular cheeky production of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream': it's Shakespeare but it winks at you and urges you to 'imagine all the girls ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah....'

Until the next time,
Marius.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails